Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Not-Reading List

I like to read. And when its a good read there isn't much else I like to do until I'm finished. Every time I go to the library the book 'Cider House Rules' stand out to me. I finally picked it up yesterday. I knew it had something to do with abortion ... thats about it. About 90 pages in I decided I better read the synopsis to find out if I really did want to finish the book. Here is the thing- a book about abortion, or a doctor's mission to help women by performing abortions, or an orphan learning about his crazy past; all of these are themes I would be interested in reading about. But here is the bummer, after reading the synopsis and the first 90 pages I have discovered that those are plots in the book, but sex is what sells it. Its just ploy to hook readers because human minds are intrigued by sex. If there were less intimate details I would want to finish. John Irving just used abortion as the bait and sex as the hook and I just think its lacking real content. Sheesh ...

5 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

what a bummer! i hate it when books turn out that way! since you are a reader, you probably have already finished the trilogy - but you really should read the hunger games set. it is so, so good. i highly recommend it!

Hilary Jorgensen said...

judging from your extensive paperback romance novel collection i thought you liked reading about sex

Mrs. King said...

Ha, and I remember liking that book in High School. Woops!

Sara Soda said...

I know how you feel! I used to get books from the adult section but now I only get books from the "young adult" section. Less sex and less swearing. But still as entertaining! Let me know if you find any good books!

smal & simple coaching said...

What a bomb! It is SO NOT my favorite when a book is like that.
Have you read:
Mama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes
Cheaper by the Dozen, Gilbreath
Mrs Mike, Freedman
Christy, Catherine Marshall
Papa Married a Morman, JD Fitzgerald
Little Britches, Ralph Moody
Daddy Long Legs, Jean Webster
A Town Like Alice, Nelvile Shute
??? I loved these books~happy reading